This weblog is about game accessibility. I will write on the progress of my research and development project that I will be doing for my graduation of my Game Design & Development course at the HKU.

woensdag 23 april 2008

Pointer System

I've created a new Pointer System that uses hot spots on the screen to control the character. There are 6 hotspots:
  • two for walking left and right;
  • three for jumping up, jumping left and jumping right;
  • and one large one for blocking;

At first i made the hotspots move together with the main character but this made it almost impossible to use since you had to always move the mouse along with the character. So finally i made the hotspots static on the screen.

At first the system was still pretty tough to use for me compared to using keys because when using keys you're able to press multiple directions at once and therefore have a more precice control. But eventually i was able to control the character pretty well with these hotspots.

However there are some platforms in my testlevel that are very hard for me to reach with the Pointer System due to lack of precision control. So either i need to take the lack of precision into account when building my levels or I need to come up with a more precise variant of the system.

Anyone who wants to test the system please feel free to download my prototype and do so. Feedback is much appriciated.

Picture below: screenshot of my prototype using the Pointer System.

Geen opmerkingen: