This weblog is about game accessibility. I will write on the progress of my research and development project that I will be doing for my graduation of my Game Design & Development course at the HKU.

zondag 16 maart 2008

Features for blind users

I've come up with some accessibillity features that I will try to implement into my game later. These features are especially designed with blind users in mind.

First there are the "parrot hints". This feature will attach a radar system to the player avatar that will test if certain obstacles, platforms, treasures or enemies are at a certain distance from the player.
These distance units will be measured in steps. I will implement a stepsound into the game that plays every time the player avatar takes a step. players should easily be able to turn this off if they don't need it. This will enable blind users to imagine the distance of various game objects.

To make the feature part of the game experience I've decided to create a parrot that accompanies the player. This parrot will function as an audio interface for the radar output.

When annoyed with this system sighted players should be able to kill this parrot.
Another system is the "auto-aimed jump" this system makes sure that when a player jumps near a new playform or obstacle he will always land on the right spot. This will take away a difficult task from blind players while they retain the freedom to choose if they want to jump.



The system will work with an invisible area. If the player jumps while in the area the jump will always land in the same spot on top of the obstacle or platform or on the other side of a gap.






Geen opmerkingen: